This delicious Scottish smoked salmon salad makes a beautiful starter on Christmas day with its silky smooth smokey slices, crispy red onions and apples, chives and bright red sweet beetroot & horseradish dressing with a shimmer of gold dust.
It makes a lovely alternative to the traditional prawn cocktail we all know and love or a delicious starter for Christmas eve by the fire. We love smoked salmon and would pretty much eat this at any time in the winter months.
Scottish smoked salmon is an essential element to the traditional Scottish Christmas table and we love a good smoked salmon pate or a delicious Scottish smoked salmon prawn and terrine loaf. These salmon recipes are great for sharing and make delicious nibble platters too with fresh crusty bread served alongside.
There are no long lists of fancy equipment required for this dish just a lovely Christmas serving plate will do the trick nicely for serving up a delicious smoked salmon treat to guests.
You may also like to serve this meal alongside some of my other winter or festive recipes. It would work well as a light starter before serving up a traditional Scottish beef stew with a lovely ‘stick to yer ribs’ kind of pudding like the my traditional Scottish clootie dumpling recipe. Both are equally delicious and easy to make following the videos below:
Tips for making this recipe:
- use a high quality smoked salmon to start off this recipe well.
- The smoked salmon with the gravadlax edge works really well and adds another element of texture and colour to this dish. Espsecially if you opt for the gold shimmery edged Christmas smoked salmon slices that are sometimes available.
- Slice up the apple and red onion just before serving to stop the onions drying out and the apple turning brown.
- The dressing can be made ahead and is made purely to taste. Add a little of each ingredient at a time and flavour it up as you like it. You can store it safely in the fridge for a day or so in a tightly sealed mini jar.
- You could also add this into a brown bread roll for a delicious sandwich lunch or make it up in a baguette. Both would be delicious and would work well.
- This recipe can be made up as large as you need and you could serve it up as a sharing plate in the center of the table with some large shell on whole prawns in the centre like a ring. Get creative!
Smoked Salmon and Beetroot Salad Recipe:
There are no specific exact quantities to this recipe as it really does depend on how much you wish to make. The ingredient quantities I used below serves 2. Start small with the dressing ingredients using the suggested measures and adjust accordingly.
Ingredients (serves 2, adjust to quantities and tastes):
- Scottish Smoked Salmon Slices 150g pack
- 1/2 red onion sliced thin
- 1/2 red apple sliced thin
- chopped chives for garnishing
- Gold dust or shimmer
Dressing Ingredients (adjust to taste):
- 1 precooked medium sized beetroot (from a pickled pack)
- 2tsp of horseradish sauce
- 2tsp of raw honey
- 2tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- a pinch of sea salt
- Slice up the smoked salmon slices into thinner strips if they are rather large slices.
- Place all the smoked salmon slices on the plate and bunch up into bunches of salmon.
- Sprinkle all of the sliced onions and sliced apples onto the smoked salmon and sprinkle with the finely chopped chives.
- Drizzle over a small amount of dressing and serve the remaining in a small dish or jug.
- Sprinkle with gold shimmer dust or edible glitter for that Christmas look.
- Serve immediately.
If you enjoyed this recipe you may also like to save the following pin to yoru favourite Pinterest board for later use.
You may also enjoy some of my other new blog posts below: