We love the beginning of rhubarb season its so exciting to taste something so delicious out of the garden after the long Winter months! We love a good old fashioned Scottish rhubarb crumble and thats what makes this cake so good! It’s like a Scottish crumble but cake!
Traditionally we would make a delicious crumble with a sweet oat and flour topping but we are in love with this delicious rhubarb crumble cake it goes so well with custard or just quite simply on its own out of the oven.
If you like the sound of this delicious rhubarb crumble cake then you may also like some of my other delicious Scottish seasonal treats. We love a classic traditional Scottish jam sponge for pudding and it works really well with custard. A traditional Scottish clootie dumpling is also one of our favourite Scottish puddings and is also quite delicious enjoyed as a slice for breakfast.
Tips for making this recipe:
- Seasonally available fresh rhubarb is best for this recipe but you could use very well drained tinned rhubarb if your out of season or its not available.
- You can vary the topping on the crumble and try chopped nuts or even almonds instead of oats. Oats work best in my opinion and adds a delicious Scottish touch to the cake.
- Traditional rhubarb crumble is quite often served up with custard in our house and this crumble cake works really well with custard or whipped cream. Its really delicious just on its own too fresh out of the oven.
Rhubarb Oat Crumble Cake Recipe
- Serves – 8-10
- Time – 1hr & 20minutes
- 180g self raising flour
- 160g caster sugar
- 125g butter (softened and cubed)
- 85g yoghurt
- 2 free range eggs
- 2tsp of vanilla extract
- 250g rhubarb trimmed and cut into 2inch pieces
- 40g plain flour
- 55g brown sugar
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1tsp vanilla
- 60g butter cubed
- 50g rolled oats
- Preheat the oven to 150oc (fan oven) and grease up a large cake tin, about 20cm big.
- Make the crumble topping by mixing together the flour, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles bread crumbs and add the oats. Mix the oats through the crumbly flour mixture until well mixed through. Set the topping aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl or by hand and add in the yoghurt, eggs, vanilla and mix through. Add in the flour and mix until completely blended together to create the cake batter.
- Pour the cake batter into your greased up cake tin and smooth over the top of the batter.
- Add all of the rhubarb distributed evenly over the surface of the cake batter and press down lightly so that the rhubarb is sitting almost even with the top of the cake.
- Sprinkle over all of the rhubarb topping evenly over the top of the cake.
- Cook in the oven for 1hr and 30minutes or until a cake pin or knife comes out clean from the middle of the cake.
- Serve with freshly whipped cream or custard.
if you enjoyed this recipe you may like to pin it to your favourite pinterest board using the pin below: