The kids are in love with this deep filled creamy chicken pie topped with crispy puff pastry! Its so easy to make and makes a lovely family meal served with fresh seasonal greens and root vegetables.
You can watch the full recipe in the video below or you can print out the recipe at the bottom of this page.
This creamy deep filled pie is made with leeks, onions and creamy white sauce with chicken breast. You could also use other cuts of chicken listed in the tips below.
If you enjoy a pudding after a lovely meal like this then feel free to try out my delicious Scottish oaty rhubarb crumble or the lovely Scottish sticky gingerbread cake is really nice served up with some hot custard at this time of year. They are both lovely recipes to warm you up on a cold Winters day.
Tips for making this recipe:
- I used my own homemade puff pastry for this recipe but you can use shop bought puff pastry to make things easier. I haven’t included a recipe for puff pastry in here but there are plenty on google to use. It’s quite a lengthy process so to make this video a quick one I have encouraged the use of the store bought puff pastry.
- You can use thighs or legs instead of the breast for this recipe but make sure you add a little extra to ensure you fill up the dish. You can also use leftover chicken meat from a roast dinner but you may need to fill it out with a little more veggies or chicken breast if you don’t have enough to fill the dish.
- You can also make this dish ahead of time and if you do so all it needs is a wee reheat in the oven. Try popping some foil over the pastry as you reheat it gently for around 20 minutes just to make sure the pastry doesn’t burn.
Easy Chicken Pie Recipe
- 4 chicken breasts
- salt and pepper to season chicken
- olive oil
- 75g butter
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 sliced leeks
- 50g plain flour
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 570 ml whole milk
- 300 ml chicken stock
- handful of chopped parsley
- roll of premade puff pastry
- 1 egg whisked to brush pastry
- Preheat the oven to 180c fan. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Bake in the oven until cooked through (about 20minutes). You can cover with foil if you wish to stop it crisping up too much.
- Shred or cut the chicken into cubes and fill the dish for the pie. I used the same dish I used for baking the chicken.
- Start making the sauce by melting the butter in a large flat pan. Add in the leeks and onions and cook through for about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the plain flour and curry powder to the leeks and onions and cook through for 5 minutes stirring all the time.
- Add in the whole milk a little at a time and stirring through well with each addition of milk. Keep adding in all the milk a little at a time.
- Stir the milk mixture through well. Bring to a medium simmer and stir away for 5 minutes or until thickened. It doesn't need to be too thick as it will thicken in the oven.
- Pour the leek sauce into the dish with the chicken and stir through well. Leave to cool for 15 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry and cover the dish. Press down the edges and trim any excess pastry off. Make a few holes in the top of the pie. Brush with the beaten egg all over the top of the pie.
- Bake in a hot oven at 200c (fan) for 20 minutes and drop the temperature down to 160c (fan) for a further 20minutes or until golden brown on the top. Be careful not to burn the pastry.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes before serving with freshly cooked seasonal vegetables.