Slow Cooked Aubergine Spicy Stew
This was so delicious I feel hungry just writing about it again! Delicious slow cooked aubergine in spices with a hint of chilli. You could adjust the recipe if you like your food hotter in taste or perhaps add a freshly sliced chilli in there also. The tzatziki on the top went so well with the spiced food and the breads were great for dipping into the sauce and dip. A little salad such as tomato and cucumber would work well on the side.
– Start by chopping all the aubergine into small 1cm style pieces (obviously you don’t need to get the ruler out) then chop the onion into small pieces and grate the garlic and ginger.
– Stir fry the coconut oil, aubergine, onion, garlic and ginger for a few minutes until lightly cooked.
– Add the lightly cooked aubergine etc. to the slow cooker, add the spices, tomato paste, honey or maple syrup and season with salt and pepper to your liking.
– Adjust the necessary settings on your slow cooker and cook until soft, around 4hrs.
– Serve with fluffy rice, tzatziki, flatbreads and salad.
This tzatziki dip is so fresh and garlicky tasting it goes really well with the cooked aubergine and the raw garlic is good for fighting all sorts of bugs.
- Scoop the yoghurt into a bowl.
- Grate the courgette and garlic into the yoghurt.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice, salt and pepper, chopped mint and stir.
- Sprinkle with chopped mint.
These flat breads are a lovely warming addition to the aubergine stew and are great for dipping into the dip and sauce.
They are so simple to make, I’m sure there are better ways but all I do is add a few cups of wholemeal flour to the kitchen aid with the dough hook on (you could hand mix and knead) and a tsp of sugar, season with salt and pepper, add warm warm water and mix until a dough is formed. Leave for an hr and roll into little balls, flatten to desired thickness and lightly cook in a tiny amount of olive oil or coconut oil in the frying pan.
If I’ve missed anything or you have any questions please drop me a comment.
Love and blessings!