I love something cheesy and comforting at this time of year and this cheddar cheese loaf fresh out of the oven with a dod of butter on the top hits the spot just nicely. The kids just love this recipe.
This cheddar cheese loaf is so easy to throw together and it never lasts any time in my house as the kids love it. The recipe makes quite a small loaf and is easy to double if you want a larger one or want to make extra for the freezer. I have used a delicious Scottish cheddar for this loaf. It’s quite nice to use a mature cheddar as it gives it a nice cheesy taste. You could also add a few cooked thinely sliced onions into this loaf for a cheese and onion loaf.
Tips for making this recipe:
- You can freeze this loaf and its sometimes a good idea to make a batch in advance and freeze them. Leave them to defrost and once desfrosted they can be heated up gently in a warm oven for 10 minutes to give you that just made taste.
- This recipe makes a small loaf but if you double the recipe you can make a larger loaf.
- I like to use a mature cheddar for this recipe as we like the taste it gives to the loaf. You can use medium flavoured cheese but the flavour doesn’t come through as much as a mature cheddar cheese.
- You could also add in some thinely sliced (and cooked) chopped onions if you wish to this loaf to make a cheese and onion loaf. We like ours just cheese but its always an option.
- Although you can freeze it this loaf is better eaten as soon as its made and on the same day.
Cheddar Cheese Loaf Recipe
- 225g of self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp of dry mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp of onion salt
- 55g of butter
- 120g of finely grated mature cheddar
- 1 beaten egg
- 140ml of whole milk
- Grease a medium loaf tin and preheat the oven to 160oc.
- Sift the flour, mustard powder, cayenne pepper and onion salt into a bowl.
- Add in the butter and rub in to resemble fine bread crumbs.
- Stir in the grated cheese and mix through thouroughly.
- Whisk the egg lightly in a jug with the milk and add into the flour mixture.
- Mix well and knead gently to form a dough.
- Bake in the oven for around 35 minutes until the loaf is baked through and golden in colour.
- Slice and serve immediately with butter.
If you enjoyed this cheddar cheese loaf you may also like to pin it below using the pinterest pin:
You may also enjoy some of my other Traditional Scottish recipes and blog posts: