Is there anything more comforting than a traditional Scottish steamed pudding after a hearty Winter stew? Try this delicious carrot cake steamed pudding variation with caramel sauce and all the lovely flavours of a traditional carrot cake.
This delicious steamed pudding is made with all of the familliar ingredients you would find in a traditional carrot cake, raisins, walnuts, grated carrots and spices etc. I have also made a quick caramel style sauce to be served with it. Lovely!
Disclaimer *This recipe contains gifted promotional products and/or paid creative content* (as always all opinions of the product or service and delicious recipes are my own).
This recipe was created in collaboration with Aldi Scotland using some of their lovely Scottish seasonal ingredients. Pop in to pick up your ingredients for this delicious dessert.
This steamed pudding would also work really well with some whipped cream or some warm custard. I love the crunchy walnuts and the sweet carrots in this pudding it works so well with the spices and the caramel sauce. Its one of my favourite desserts.
If you are enjoying this recipe you may also like some of my other traditional Scottish desserts. I love this Apple Cider Clootie dumpling recipe which you can steam easily in a muslin cloth (cloot). The Scottish oaty rhubarb crumble is also a favourite in this house when rhubarb comes into season. Its so incredibly easy to make and makes a lovely early Spring dessert.
Tips for making this recipe:
- you will need a steaming bowl for this recipe. They are easily found on amazon or Lakeland plastics. I like this one here – https://www.amazon.co.uk/b/?encoding=UTF8&node=11716391&ref=sv_top_ap_arrow_4 its metal but the traditional ones would have been ceramic or plastic. You can also pick up one of those too.
- make sure you grease up your steaming dish well before use so it doesn’t stick on the inside of the pot.
- I find if you leave the steaming pot to cool slightly after the cooking before removing the pudding it helps stop it sticking to the side of the steaming pot.
Carrot Cake Steamed Sponge
Carrot Cake Sponge
- 100g Butter
- 100g Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tbsp Whole milk
- 100g Self Raising Flour
- 50g Chopped Pecans
- 50g Raisins
- 1 tbsp Pumpkin Spice
- 1 Medium Carrot Grated approx 100g
- 150 ml Double Cream
- 50g Butter
- 75g Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- Cream the butter and the sugar together. Add in the eggs and mix well. Add in the milk and stir.
- Sieve the flour into a seperate bowl and mix through the chopped pecans, raisins, pumpkin spice and grated carrot into the flour.
- Pour the flour mixture into the egg mixture and mix through well. You may need an additional splash of milk to create a nice cake batter consistency..
- Pour into a well greased steamer with a lid and steam in a pan of boiling water on a medium simmer for 2hrs.
- Remove steamer and cool while you make the toffee sauce.
- Add all of the ingredients to a small saucepan and cook on a medium heat until combined. Simmer for 5 minutes and serve.
- Remove pudding from steamer and pour over toffee sauce.