This traditional Scottish Winter Vegetable soup is so good on a cold Winters day. It’s made with a hearty selection of seasonal Scottish root vegetables and a piece of beef rib to sweeten and add flavour.
This soup can be made with a variety of different root vegetables but this recipe is my favourite combination of Scottish vegetables. You can also use different pieces of beef for the stock, I like to use a piece of rib because the flavour is delicious but a small piece of steak would work too.
There are so many delicious traditional Scottish soups to be made in the Winter months but this Traditional Scottish vegetable soup is one of my favourite Winter lunches and its so very easy to make. You can swap the root vegetables around and the meat to create your own variation. I like to use whats available seasonally in our local vegetable box and whats left over in the fridge.
If your enjoying this recipe you may also enjoy my other favourite soups from The Wee Larder You Tube Channel. I love the traditional Scottish cullen skink recipe which is a traditional North east soup recipe that my family have loved for generations and I also love the Scottish classic cock a leekie which is delicious and hearty on a cold Winter’s day. You can find both recipes below:
Tips for making this recipe:
- You can mix and match the root vegetables to your tastes or to the seasonal availabilities of the root vegetables in your area. You could even try adding in some Spring and summer vegetables to this recipe.
- This recipe works best in the Winter with all the delicious roots available, I think they are just so filling and hearty and make a delicious soup.
- I have used a piece of beef rib in this recipe as a basis for the broth but you can also use a piece of beef steak or a piece or ham or a ham bone for extra flavour and nutritional elements.
- This soup can be mashed up a little with a little cream or pureed completely in a blender with a little cream or milk.
- You can make this soup up ahead at the start of the week and store it in the fridge for future lunches.
- Once the beef is removed for shredding, if you have used beef rib you can add the bones back into the soup for continued low simmering. Its not nessecary but it does deepen the flavour of the soup.
- You can serve this soup up with crusty bread or traditional Scottish oatcakes and cheese for a traditional Scottish meal.
Winter Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 1-2tbsp butter
- 1/2 large turnip
- 2 large carrots
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 small leek
- handful of kale
- 3-4tsp of salt
- piece of beef rib
- herbs (optional)
- 2-3litres of water
- Wash, peel and chop all of the vegetables into small cubes and set aside. Slice up the kale and any other greens you are using.
- Melt the butter in a large pan and add all the vegetables into the butter. Cook down for 10-15minutes until golden in colour.
- Add in the salt and 2-3 litres of water, enough to cover the vegetables and a little over and add in the piece of beef rib.
- Cook the soup on a medium simmer for 1hr 30minutes and remove the beef after this time. Reduce the heat to a low simmer.
- Set the beef aside to cool a little then remove all the meat off the beef and shred. Pop this back into the soup and stir through.
- You can keep the soup on a low simmer until ready to serve. Sprinkle the herbs in at this point too.
- Season and serve up into large bowls and serve with oatcakes and cheese or crusty bread.
If you enjoyed this recipe you may also like to save it to your favourite Pinterest board using the pin below:
You may also enjoy some of my other delicious blog posts below:
We loved cooking up these delicious recipes using a freshly caught Scottish crab and lobster from The Ethical Shellfish company who dive fish around the Mull area in Scotland. Their … Read More