We loved cooking up these delicious recipes using a freshly caught Scottish crab and lobster from The Ethical Shellfish company who dive fish around the Mull area in Scotland. Their ethos is simple but beautiful – “We will pick the apples without trampling the flowers beneath”.
I made this delicious stuffed lobster salad with one of their lobsters with cucumber, capers, beetroot, gherkins, mayo, lemon and some boiled eggs. My inspiration for the dish was of course from traditional Scottish recipes and I loved the cooking experience it brought with it.
I also cooked up a delicous stuffed and baked crab using traditional ingredients and methods of preparation. The boys and Dad really enjoyed the whole experience and the freshness and taste that came from the products was second to none. I would go as far as saying it was quite possibly some of the best seafood I have ever enjoyed!
Both of the recipes work together really well individually but you could serve them up together as a delicious sharing style of meal with some fresh salad items or vegetables on the side.
If you like the sound of this recipe your going to love my other Scottish inspired recipes. Many of which are based on traditional classics! Pop over to my Youtube Channel or browse the website here for more inspiration.
I would recommend, with any of these dishes, to serve them up alongside the delicious creamy scallop toasts in my seafood duo video if your going for the seafood spread and to finish off I think something light like a good strawberry tart always goes down well and is perfect for the Summer months.
Tips for making this recipe:
- Ok so I’ll admit I’m no expert at cooking shellfish and learning ALL the time but here are some tips from what I know.
- We popped the lobster in the freezer before the boiling part as apparently it stuns them before cooking. As I said though I am no expert but I believe you can also kill it quickly before just before boiling too. Just do whatever feels comfortable to you.
- Its important we make the connection with living things and our food. Personally it helps me to respect what we are eating, to be grateful and present to our food and to keep waste to an absolute minimium.
- You can vary up the flavours in the stuffed lobster salad. Experiment with your favourite items and mayo.
- Once prepared eat it straight away, it is most enjoyable this way and you want to experience the fresh taste of seafood with such high quality.
- The recipes below are for the prepared and cooked meat of the crab and lobster. Please have a peek on google or The Ethical Shellfish website for full instructions on how to cook your shellfish. I didn’t want to provide instructions as I’m a bit of a novice when it comes to shellfish and followed several cookbooks for instructions.
Disclaimer *This recipe contains gifted promotional products and/or paid creative content* (as always all opinions of the product or service and delicious recipes are my own )
These delicious seafood products came from The Ethical Shellfish company who operate several boats dive fishing from Mull. They are 100% committed to the ethos of the business and are really passionate about what they do. They strive to provide the very best shellfish from the beautiful West Coast of Scotland, fished without any damage to the precious sea that surrounds us.
As I previously mentioned thier beautiful ethos is – “We will pick the apples without trampling the flowers beneath” I don’t know about you but they certainly sound like a business I would love to continue supporting.
“Since 2010 we have been dive fishing for scallops from our own boats as well as buying from other small boats in our local area. Dive fishing is the most sustainable fishing method possible, and we carefully grade everything we catch, returning undersized scallops to the sea.
In addition to our own scallops, we also sell other shellfish which has been caught by small boats using responsible fishing methods. In every case we know who the fishermen are, where they are working and what they do. We examine the quality of the shellfish carefully and work with the supplier to check that they are observing regulations.” – Ethical Shellfish Company Website
“Our mission is to genuinely prioritise the marine environment by supporting the right kind of fishing. Dive fishermen are limited by depth and the length of time they can stay on the seabed, so they will not overfish. Creel fishing is a static fishery – pots or creels are placed on the seabed and shellfish lured in with bait. There is minimal damage to seabed and undersized individuals, females with eggs and bycatch can be returned alive to the sea.” – Ethical Shellfish Company Website
You can find out more from The Ethical Shellfish Company on their website at the address below where they usually do home deliveries of thier amazing produce! You can also find a selection of delicious seafood recipes to give you some inspiration in the kitchen. If you have any questions drop me a line in the comments below and I will pop them over to the company for you!
I hope you have enjoyed finding out a little bit more about this lovely business and feel inspired to support them in the future. Angie x
Scottish Baked Crab
- 1 Cooked Scottish Brown Crab prepared meat and empty shell
- 1/2 cup White Sauce Approx
- 1 handful Bread Crumbs
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 handful Cheddar Cheese
- 2 tbsp Parsley Preferably fresh & chopped
- Preheat the oven to 160oc (fan) and set aside a small oven proof dish large enough for the clean crab shell to fit in.
- Shred the crab meat and season with salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add the lemon juice and bread crumbs and mix through well.
- Add in just enough white sauce to cover and mix through the crab meat.
- Stuff the crab meat mixed in white sauce back into the crab shell.
- Sprinkle with a small amount of cheddar and parsley and bake in the oven for 25 minutes, keeping a close eye on the crab. When it is golden brown it is ready!
Stuffed Lobster Salad
- 1 Cooked Lobster prepared meat and shell (cold)
- 1 1/2 tbsp Capers
- 1 1/2 tbsp Diced Cucumber small cubes
- 1 1/2 tbsp Diced Beetroot small cubes
- 1 1/2 tbsp Chopped Gherkins small cubes
- Lemon Juice a good squeeze of
- 2 tbsp Mayo truffle may is a good choice or ordinary
- 1/2 Boiled Egg sliced
- Salt & Pepper good quality sea salt
- 2 tbsp Parsley fresh & chopped
- Chop up the lobster meat and add to a small bowl.
- Add in the capers, cucumber, beetroot and gherkins and mix through really well.
- Season with salt and pepper and add in enough mayonnaise to lubricate everything really well.
- Stuffed the clean lobster shell with the prepared lobster meat and sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!