We love rhubarb season and we love absolutely love these Rhubarb and White Chocolate cake bars with melted pieces of white chocolate, ground almonds and a drizzle of sweet icing on the top. They are such a lovely family treat and have a lovely flavour throughout. They are also delicious served up with warm custard on a cold day.
You can watch the full recipe below for these easy and delicious Rhubarb and White Chocolate Cake Bars or you can print out the recipe at the bottom of this blog post.
These delicious Rhubarb and White Chocolate cake bars are an indulgent family treat at this time of year and are lovely served with custard too. The cake bars are filled with chunky pieces of white chocolate and stewed rhubarb and with the addition of ground almonds the flavours are delicious.
Rhubarb season starts around February in the supermarkets but in the garden its around April / May time. I love stewed rhubarb and have some delicious recipes on my website for using it. Most of them of a sweet nature.
If you like the sound fo this delicious recipe you may also enjoy the following rhubarb recipes from my Youtube channel. They are all delicious recipes to cook up in Spring time. I love the Scottish rhubarb crumble bars using deliciosu Scottish oats and the Scottish Oaty Rhubarb Crumble recipe. The crumble is lovely served with cream or custard.
Tips for making this recipe:
- keep the white chocolate pieces chunky as they hold a lovely creamy texture in the cake after it is cooked if you do so. Chop up a wee handful extra of white chocolate pieces to scatter over the top of the cake before cooking for extra white chocolate creaminess.
- KMake sure teh rhubarb still holds a bit of testure before adding it to the cake you don’t want it too mushy.
- If you have pieces of cake leftover warm them up in the oven and serve them with warm custard. Don’t waste any of this deliciosu cake its sooo good. You could also try freezing a few extra pieces if you need to.
- Stew up a few extra chunks of rhubarb to use as a pretty topping on your cake.
- You don’t have to add the icing or rhubarb on the top and could serve the cake straight away warm after the oven if you want to.
Rhubarb and White Chocolate Cake Bars
- 200 g rhubarb chopped weight before cooking
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 250 g butter
- 225 g caster sugar
- 275 g self raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 75 g ground almonds
- 5 eggs
- 120 g white chocolate chopped chunky + a few extra chunks for the topping
- icing sugar to drizzle or dust (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160c and grease up a brownie tin.
- Start by stewing the rhubarb for around 10minutes on a medium simmer with the sugar and water stirred through. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Cream the butter and the sugar in a mixing bowl for a few minutes.
- Add in the flour, baking powder and ground almonds and mix through.
- Add in the eggs and mix through.
- Add in the rhubarb and white chocolate chunks and mix through carefully.
- Pour the mixture into the brownie tin and bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown on the top and a pin comes out clean from the cake.
- Leave to cool completely .
- Decorate with a little extra stewed rhubarb and a drizzle of icing sugar mixed with water.
- Dust with additional icing sugar if you wish.